Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Weakness Perfected

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me --to keep me from exalting myself! Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

Have you ever felt weak in your faith? Have you ever felt weak in your walk with Christ or your Christian example. I feel that way on a regular basis! Often I have felt that my sin was because I was weak. or spiritually immature (lacking wisdom, knowledge and discernment). That is true but today as I was studying this passage in 2 Corinthians God reminded me that if I was stronger than I am, powerful in my own self, would there be room for His power?

I often grieve over my sinful habits, knowing they pull me away from my Father, and knowing that with Christ comes freedom, not bondage. I long to live a sinless life, yet knowing it won't happen on this earth. So, it was pretty encouraging today as I was reminded that it is my failures, the thorns in my side, and my tendencies toward sin that invite God's power in my life. Just as Paul implored the Lord for relief, I have begged God to rescue me and to set my upright. But what happens then? Would He still find me at His feet regularly? Not likely. When we have it all together do we seek Him? Not typically. It truly is my weaknesses (and there are many) that cause me to call out to El Shaddai, the All-Sufficient One. May I never be sufficient in myself and loose sight of my overwhelming need for a Savior.

Paul described himself as "most gladly" and "well content" with his weaknesses. May I rejoice in my desperation for Christ and in ALL things that bring me to Him!

No comments: