Wednesday, June 10, 2009

..........Fights Worth Having

This has been a long and taxing week so far. I woke up Monday morning expecting to meet with some friends about youth camp next week. Little did I know that one of the people who I was meeting with had a lot more on his mind than camp. He and I have had some....let's say.....some moments of frustration with one another which had the potential to blow up at some point down the road. Neither had really done anything to the other, specifically, so it has just been this ugly thing that has consistently produced a discontentment between us. Well, apparently he had had enough and was ready to just have it out and put an end to it. I was blind sided. Truthfully I was completely happy not ever hashing it out with him, but now I realize that is just what Satan would have me do. You see, we are a team with basically the same goals and, I believe, can work together to accomplish some great things under God's leading and working in us. But with this ugly wedge between us, God's work is hindered. With walls being built between us, connections were being severed. My friend had enough guts to get real with me so we could reestablish what was being torn down. It took 3 days, some heavy and awkward conversations, and some heart to heart, get real moments to have a breakthrough, but it did happen. And I thank him greatly for that.

I have realized some truths about ministry. It is not easy. When you are called into ministry you are signing up for war. You are accepting the draft and surrendering to a different cause. A cause greater than yourself. Satan knows the power of believers in bringing forth God's will if they are obedient to Him. I believe he has some pretty good tactics and he was shooting arrows right at us.

Friends, some fights are worth having. Relationships, especially those in the context of ministry, are strong forces for the Lord. I think these relationships have a bulls eye right in the heart and arrows are on the way. Churches are falling apart, ministry divisions within the church are crumbling, and God appointed teams are losing the battle. Relationships are hard to hold onto but the kind that God designs are worthy of every effort we have.

No matter how uncomfortable something can be, or how hard something is to manage, swallowing our pride and breaking down the walls is so necessary.

Don't let the battle go without a solid effort toward victory. Again, some fights are worth having!

1 comment:

Only Servants Ministries said...

okay- so I got REEEEEEALLLY behind on all my bloggy people. I'm going back and reading. Love you and thanks for this post. I'm super-d-duper non confrontational which is not always a good thing. Sometimes it just causes resentment b/c "i'm surely not going to bring it up". Love ya girl- so glad to see you while we were home.