Thursday, June 4, 2009

................Confident Adequacy in God

Am I adequate? That's a loaded question with a very simple answer: No, I am not.
I have been reading a book by Lou Giglio called, I am not but I know I AM. It's all about the differences between ourselves and God--all that we aren't , and all that He IS. Then today in my Bible study I began working through Ch 3 of 2 Corinthians and I came to the following verses:

4 Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, 6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit: for the letter kills but the Spirit gives life.

Our confidence is through Christ and toward God--without Him there's no confidence. This confidence is the kind that is gained from the object of the confidence having proven its reliability. God proved Himself to us through His sacrificial act of sending His Son to die that we might live. It was and continues to be the greatest act of service ever done for man. This is why our confidence is unshaken.

Nothing originates in us. Our adequacy is from God. We are adequate because of the confidence we have in God, Through Christ. But what are we adequate for? Adequate to serve. Bottom line. To serve Christ, the new covenant. This is all I am adequate to do--to serve Him.

Everything I achieve is a result of Him, nothing from within myself because I am INadequate to do anything apart from Him. As I obey the Lord, the Lord accomplishes things through me. When I joined in a covenant relationship with Him by putting my trust in Him and accepting His Lordship over me, I became completely adequate to serve Him. That also means I am adequate to obey. My obedience, my service to God brings about His will in my life. So, my adequacy goes back to Him, the originator and completer of all things.

Now, is this good news or bad news? It's excellent news! Nothing is dependent on my performance, only my obedience. My inadequacy is confidently perfected in His adequacy.

So, am I a good parent? Am I a good wife? Am I a good friend? Am I a good teacher?

These are irrelevant questions. The real question is am I obedient? Am I serving the Lord? The success of my roles come confidently through HIS adequacy.

Phil 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

wendi said...

For You are my hope, O Lord God, You are my CONFIDENCE from my youth. Ps 71:5

Thanks for a great reminder in where our true confidence should be. Love the idea that it is not about being a good mom/wife/etc, but about being obedient.

I love that God not only makes us adequate, but shapes us to be more than we could ever imagine and equips us lavishly as He loves us extravagantly.

We can have confident adequacy in God and know that He working in us will always be more than enough.