Saturday, April 11, 2009

Mistakes

I often find myself regretting something I've said or done. Actually, it is usually something I've said. I have that disease called spill mouth. If you are fortunate enough to not know anything about it, I'll be happy to fill you in. It is a syndrome in which one momentarily, and unexpectedly loses complete control of their tongue. It results in inconsiderate words, nonsense talk, and flat out rudeness (also exemplifies selfish pride). Typically I am able to live a normal life without the influence of this disease in my daily activities. However, I had a relapse last night. No need to go into details, because who really wants to tell on themselves, but I have recovered today. The good news about this illness is that there is a cure! It is called discernment and is administered straight into the heart by the Holy Spirit. If can be painful but is a sure fix.

Okay, seriously. If you know me at all you know that I am a very transparent person. Unfortunately transparency can bite you in the butt sometimes. I think I am too honest at times with the people I love and I end up causing them to be uncomfortable in one way or another. This has always been a struggle for me. BTW--if you have ever been affected by this I apologize to you now. Please forgive me and know that it is completely unintentional.
So, as I lay in bed last night trying desperately to fall asleep, I was recounting the night and thinking about 2 particular instances that I wished I could change. That led me to think about God and how much He has to put up with in my life. As my blog title suggest, it is truly my desire for others to see Christ in me, and to learn who He is through my life. I hate it when I mess up because I realize that it is a moment that I'm only confirming my self instead of Him.
I was reminded of how I completely don't deserve the salvation that He has given me in Christ.

Romans 6:23 says " For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
I'm so grateful for the FREE gift of eternal life. If I had to earn it I would be in serious trouble. If you have ever thought that you aren't good enough for God, read the next verse:
Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Well I have absolutely nothing to boast about except what God has done. And I'm so thankful that my piddly works don't matter much to God when it comes to my salvation. He demands my belief, but not my accomplishments. Hopefully, the works that I do are confirming who He is to me and causing others to be interested in Him, but it is good that they aren't the key to my eternity.
I hope you realize that God has a gift for you, and it cost you nothing. Christ already paid the price. So take it, and be free!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One thing you might not know about SpillMouth is that it IS contagious. Only you must have caught it from me. I have been known to put my foot in my mouth a few times!
So thankful to be REDEEMED- esp. today!

Hall Family said...

We all experience this from time to time. I personally beat myself up over it and end up worrying constantly about how someone might have taken what I said the wrong way. Very easy to do!
It is so hard to filter all of my words and even worse, my thought.
I do try though!

wendi said...

So there is an actual name to this disease I fall into so often...wow! And thanks for the info on the cure. I think you are spot on. Love the new picture at the top!