Tuesday, December 21, 2010

She Never Ceases to Amaze Me

Macie's swim team held a fundraiser last Friday called Swim a Lap. Each athlete was responsible for getting either flat donations or pledges for as many laps as he/she could swim. Macie collected donations for the most part, but did have a few committed pledges as well. We were out of town for the event so she swam her makeup session yesterday.

Leading up to it we talked about her pledges and how many laps she hoped to swim. She thought it would be awesome to reach a hundred. I tried to convince her that 40 laps was most reasonable at her level and with her pledges/donations she would do well if she reached that goal.

Well, my Macie NEVER settles for status quo. She takes on a challenge with full gusto and I love her for it. I have rarely seen her give up on anything. I have seen her not care about something and so therefore not give much to it. But if she cares at all, she's all in.


Now I'm just gonna brag on her because it's my blog and I can do that :).

When she started her first lap, she was motivated and ready to go. She didn't pace herself well and after the first 10 laps straight she was struggling. I thought she may not make it pass 20.
I'm not sure how many laps she did before changing strokes but it was a lot. The 2nd stroke was backstroke which is hard for her. You have to kick really strong and keep your head back or your lower body sinks. Well she was sinking on the first lap. Her legs were so tired at this point that her arms were doing all the work. She was in the 30's now with her lap count.

I realized that the other 2 swimmers that were doing their laps were moving faster than her. This means they were done and waiting for her to reach the end to start the next set. So, as soon as she would get to the end the other two would go and she would have to trail right behind them.

Essentially she was getting no breaks. I kid you not, the girl swam all her laps with only stopping to get the next instruction or to grab her kickboard for the next go. She amazed me.

So at the end, one swimmer finished and got out of the pool so I went to congratulate Macie and help her out. I asked the recorder of the laps how many she had done and he said 116. "Wow Macie, that's awesome!", I said. "I know you're exhausted. Hop on out and I'll help you get dry". She looked at me with this determined look on her face and asked if she had to be done. "What!?" I thought out aloud. She asked if she could go 4 more and make it to 120. And she did!

My girl swam 120 laps with barely a break!!! She is such an awesome kid!!

If you see her please congratulate her for her hard work and determination. Thanks!

No comments: