Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Simple Reminder

This Christmas brings new excitement for us. Having four kids instead of two is four times the fun. I simply can not wait for Christmas morning!

This week starts the festivities for us as we begin the "Christmas rounds". First, dinner and gift exchange with my sis and her crew. Then, a weekend with all the Hudler's. This means lots of games, lots of kids, and lots of traditions. We look forward to it weeks/months ahead. Then my annual sleep over/Christmas dinner with all my girls (from SS). Then the Christmas Eve service at church. And, finally, Christmas day.

And between all that are Christmas crafts, Christmas baking, Christmas pictures, a little more Christmas shopping, and a whole lot of family time. Yay!

So, as you may be gathering, I'm very excited about the days to come. But, I have to stop for even just a moment and reorient myself to the reality of it. The reality is that once upon a time, a time when my name had yet to be spoken, I received a gift that would forever change my life. Before I made my first mistake, committed my first sin, or looked back with regret for the first of many times, the Savior I would so desperately need was sent for me.

Christ "became flesh and dwelt among us" so that years later you and I could spend a month or so being reminded and reminding others that there is a gift to be had and a gift to be given. The first is the gift of salvation found only in the Christ of "Christ"mas. The latter is the full surrender of you, and I.

Many people understand the necessity of accepting Christ for who He is. I want to challenge you, and myself, to be fully surrendered to Him. Enjoy this season, enjoy the gifts you give and receive, enjoy the good will and grace that is heightened in those around you. But don't forget as you bless so many others with your generosity to give God all you've got. Afterall, it is the reason for the season!

No comments: