Friday, September 5, 2008

Discipleship-It's On!!

Yes, I finally got it going! I have been waiting for an opportunity, and the right group, to come so that I could get a discipleship group started. It was all in God's timing and His perfect planning. We officially started this past Sunday. What a treat it was to have 4 incredible students in my home. This is definitely a highlight in my week. Starting this week I will have 5, the whole group.
This is how it works:
We meet every Sunday night in my home. This is so that they can see what a Christian home looks like outside of church and their own homes. I want them to see that besides their own homes, others are trying to live Godly lives too, and that it's not just a church thing or only something their parents are doing. We are all on the same path.
It is a commitment. They can't use excuses for not coming. "I had homework to do, so I couldn't come" is unacceptable. If it is important to them, they will do what they need to do to be there every week.
It is a closed group, no visitors. This is to ensure complete openness and confidentiality.
It is consistent. We will continue to meet in this setting until they graduate or the Lord tells me to do something different. Also, I want them to see that there are people who will stick by them through all of life's journeys.
Spiritual Growth is expected. This means that they have to participate and be held accountable for their part of the Christian walk.
What we do: eat and fellowship, then Bible study and prayer. The moms are alternating bringing meals which is such a blessing.
So this is discipleship. My prayer is that maybe some of you who are reading would be led to do the same kind of thing with students you work with.
It is so incredible to be able to love and be loved by students who love Jesus.

1 Timothy 1:5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

1 comment:

The Beaver Bunch said...

Praying now that God will bless this group in the way that only He can.