Sunday, September 21, 2008

Which Path to Choose?

Have you ever heard about the narrow gate? The one that leads to life and few enter it. Why do so few enter it? I think I know. We are studying this in Sunday school. We had a great discussion about it today. One of the reasons why I love my students so much is because they are searching for answers of truth. They want to figure it out and I love working through the gospel with them. They are learning, as am I, that there is a cost to pay to be a disciple of Christ. Few enter because they either don't want to pay the price, or they don't understand the cost. The thing I stressed to my students today and that I would like to stress to you readers is this: there is a difference between Jesus as Saviour and Jesus as Lord. To know Him as Saviour is to know that you have eternal life and will never face death because He was the Victor over death. He conquered the grave after taking on your sin, and thus paved the way for you to go to heaven. He saved you from hell, from condemnation, and from eternal separation from God, your Creator. He is Saviour. Now, to know Him as Lord is such a different scenario. Lord, as described by my students is Boss, Master, Leader. This is someone in charge. I challenged them to look at their life and see if He is in charge or if they are. I believe this is one reason why only few are on the narrow path. It's the inability or lack of desire to give up and let go of the responsibilities of life so that a higher power can take over. To many, that's not appealing. But to say that you are a Christian is not to be saved only. It is also to be submitted to One who is over all. Romans 10:9 says, "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved". Mark 8:34 teaches that there are 3 things that must take place to be a follower/disciple of Christ: deny yourself, take up your cross and follow Him. To make Him Lord is to deny yourself. That is the price you must pay. I have to admit it is a lot better than eternal death. I'd rather die daily for Christ to live in me than to die a final death at the end and to never know life again. So I've chosen to make Him Lord. Actually I've chosen to allow His Lordship, to accept it. He is Lord no matter what our choices are. So I pay the cost. I challenge my students to consider the cost, but to also consider the consequence. Matthew 7:13 reveals to us that the wide path, which many are on, leads to destruction, but the narrow path leads to life. I ask them "which are you on?" and I ask you the same.

4 comments:

gk said...

When I come home again in October, I'm hitting up your class. I can be like a special surprise visitor! Even though alot of them already know me, haha! You're so awesome! I love reading your blog. It just makes me happy! I miss you sooo much! Tell your family I miss them, and tell Macie I'm proud of her! Love you!

The Beaver Bunch said...

Great post. I'd never thought of Him as having a duel role like that. Thanks for helping me see more and more light.

I'm so blessed by you!

Special K said...

So, I am a BIT behind but I loved your blog! and I love your family.They make me feel all good inside! I miss you all Tell Cody, Macie, and Jeff that I will see them in October!

Anonymous said...

Love reading your blog and the messages you include for us in them. You're a really good teacher. Thanks for the insights and the honesty. I'm proud to call you friend. Mama K