Monday, September 15, 2008

A Very Special Night


Macie and her daddy just after the baptism


The supportive family

So, here's the story:
Macie has always been of her own breed. We aren't sure what breed that is exactly but we know a few other kids from the same one, so that's comforting. She is definitely classified as a "strong willed personality", but her behaviors are extreme. Through the many challenges we have faced in parenting, our number one goal has always been that she know God. Not just know about Him, but know Him in her own heart, not through us but through her own personal relationship with Him. Since submission is such a struggle for her, it has concerned me at times how she would be able to "deny herself, take up her cross, and follow Him". I mean really and truly, isn't that the hardest thing for anyone to do? But, back in October, after having quite a duel with her, God opened her mind to an understanding of Him that she had not had before. It was the kind of understanding that enables one to realize that he/she will never be able to get it right on their own. You have to submit to God for His goodness to prevail in you. When she came to that conclusion, it was in that moment that my daughter became eternally connected with myself, her dad, and her brother. Nothing would ever separate us. Isn't that beautiful? I don't mean in an "aw...sweet" kind of way. I mean in the way that God provides salvation for us all and through that, there is never separation for Him or from anyone in the family of God. We now have a household of believers, and though we are only 4, we are a mighty force for Him. I rejoiced for so many reasons last night as I sat in the front pew with my eyes heavy with tears. I watched my husband, who struggled for years with his career b/c he was unable to recognize God's call on his life, step into a baptismal pool beside his longtime friend and pastor, and then take his daughter by the hand as she declared to her little world that she loved Jesus and was gonna live her life for him. I watched her as she stepped into that water with sheer joy that she had been expressing all day long, knowing she knew full well what she was experiencing. I looked to one side of me and saw my parents and brother in law, my son, and my nephews sharing the same joy as I. I looked to the other side and saw my in-laws sitting with pride and joy as their son and their granddaughter shared in that moment together. Then directly to my right sat some of my 7th graders supporting me and sharing the moment with my family and I. Have I mentioned before how much I love them! I think I have. Anyway, as my husband lowered my daughter into that water symbolizing the new life she had attained through Jesus Christ I was overcome with peace. Overcome with gratefulness. Overcome with humility. Overcome with the greatness of God. I praise His name today, and everyday. I hope I never forget the moment of this very special night, when I and those I love witnessed God's life giving power. Last thought: Eternal Life, it's yours for the taking!
Romans 10:9-10




2 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

Yay! I love it. I'm so proud to know you guys, and Macie!

Anonymous said...

I cried through the whole service...super tender moments watching so many families see their loved ones being made clean!
Your entire family is such an encouragement to me as we begin this homeschooling journey!
Kim