Sunday, July 13, 2008

Jumping In and Hanging Out

What brings you joy? What enlightens you? What are you thankful for? What blesses your heart? I can tell you several things that do this for me: Jesus Christ, God, Jeff, Cody, and Macie Hudler, and the subject of this blog.....a group of 12 year olds. Not just any group, though. A very special group. I would love to name each one, but I fear missing one and giving the impression that there is one among them less important to me. This would not be true. In my head I can think of why I love them all, individually. I'm not sure what it is exactly about them, their innocence, their potential, their openness, their readiness. Are you ready for what God wants to do in your life? They are! I saw this in them this past week. I watched them worship a God they know to be real. I watched young boys shed tears as God revealed His majesty to them in their hearts. I watched young girls lift their sweet hands in the air to worship their maker. People, are you responding to God and to what He has done, and to who He is? They are! And what amazes me so much about them is that they are responding now. They aren't waiting to grow up. They want God's plan now. They teach me so much about so many things. They make me want to be better, more godly, more serving, more available. They even make me want to be a better mom and wife. It's like my own accountability group. Strange huh? I'm humble that they sit at my feet on Sunday mornings and actually listen to me and engage in conversation with me about matters of God. I'm humbled when they cry on my shoulder unashamedly when their hearts are grieved. I'm humbled when a grandmother tells me thank you b/c her 12 yr old "loves me like another mom". They can't love me near as much as I love them. I can't possibly be as much to them as they are to me. And why me? What did I ever do that God would allow such blessings. That He would allow me such a privilege of even knowing these incredible kids, much less having a relationship with them. One thing I am very excited about is that I have so much time ahead of me with them as we move up to the youth group together. God is allowing me to continue to teach and mentor them as they journey through the next several years in the youth. And I'm so excited about that. I'm excited about watching the seeds that I have seen planted in them grow into trees that bear much fruit. I look forward to seeing them fulfill their commitments to God. Many of them made new commitments at camp this week. I realize that sometimes those grand visions fall to the wayside. My commitment to them is to pray them through and to walk the road alongside of them. I pray for you, readers, friends, and family that you will not miss a blessing from God b/c you are busy or feel the job's not for you. If God is leading you to serve in an area that may be uncomfortable, and you just say "not now Lord", or "I can't do that Lord", you may be missing out on huge gifts from God. I'm not gonna miss out. I'm jumping right in and hanging out there!

2 comments:

The Beaver Bunch said...

Being with 12 yr olds takes a special person. I know that they are so blessed by you, probably even more than YOU feel blessed. You're so cool, how could they not love you? Thanks for ministering to these kids and for challenging others to look for God everywhere.

I'm Just Sayin said...

Wow! I was "surfing blogs" and found this. Imagine my surprise to read about a group my OWN dauther is in! Thank you for being there for them. They are at that age where they become aliens and TRUST ME - having someone like you in their lives helps! And by the way, in case you weren't sure, Courtney is the president of the Kathy Hudler fan club!