Monday, February 16, 2009

Things on my heart

Have you ever been at a place in your soul where there is so much stirring in you that you just don't know what to do with any of it? That's where I'm at these days. I feel like God is working in me, teaching me, showing me new things, asking more of me, and revealing more to me than He ever has before. It's a little freaky as I don't know what to do with most of it. Here are just a few snippets of what I'm talking about.



I have been grieved for some time now over the financial and spiritual poverty of other people in other places. I have had a heart for missions for a couple of years now but it has grown more personal lately. It's like I've gone from knowing that people should help people to realizing that I should do something specific, something that affects my family more directly.

I believe that God is leading me in 2 directions: 1-an actual mission trip 2-international adoption.

On the topic of #1: I've always sorta fantasized about foreign missions. I've wondered what it's really like to be in other countries where life is unlike what I know and the name of Jesus is rarely mentioned. I've never seen other cultures being lived out, and I haven't experienced life as anything other than an American. This has become more of a burden for me recently as I come to understand more of God's word, and His instruction. My relationship with God is a result of many pouring their lives into mine. People like my parents and siblings, church leaders, teachers and mentors, and my dear friends. They have surrounded my life with goodness and have shown me God. And of course He has shown me Himself through His Holy Spirit that lives in me. But, how thankful I am to have had, and still have Godly influences around me. So, I feel, out of gratitude to do the same. That's partly why I teach Sunday school and lead discipleship. But, when I think of others in other countries and how much they don't have in terms of Godly influences I am compelled to make a difference. Jeff and I have discussed different opportunities for us to be involved in missions, individually and as a family. Nothing has ever quite fit right though until now. So, this summer will be my first foreign mission trip. I'm going to Romania!!

I'm very excited about it. This will be my first time overseas, in a country that does not speak my language or typically serve my God. There is a lot of unknown about going on a trip like this. The unknowns excite my nerves a little, but I know that will resolve. Now, I'm not a good flight passenger. I think that is at the top of the list of what scares me about the trip. The other thing is being so far from my family. These are minor things though in light of sharing Jesus with the lost and making an eternal difference in the far ends of the earth.

If you feel led, here's what you can do: pray for me to receive the finances from the Lord. Many of you know that we currently have 2 house payments since our SC house STILL has not sold. If you don't know, my husband is a minister. Minister and 2 house payments don't typically work well together. I feel that God is going to give me every dime for this trip outside of what we currently already receive from Him. I will be working on personal fundraising stuff and am praying now about what God would have me do. Anything I do, I want to be a blessing to someone else as well. I'm considering offering a total one time house cleaning for $100. I would clean as much as that a person would feel is fair in paying that amount. If I could just get 10 people to accept that offer I would have over half the $.

Please post a comment on what you think about that idea and if you have any other ideas for raising the $. Thanks in advance!

Now on the topic of #2, I will speak later. this is plenty for now!

4 comments:

gk said...

YYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!

You can sit with me on the plane. I'll make you LOVE flying!! Or, at least I'll be an intersting distraction. :)

Special K said...

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! and dont listen to gk about the plane... she scared to snot out of me. Dont say anything about being able to see the cars on the ground.. or else you are in for a scary couple seconds. its a distraction alright...

wendi said...

How exciting! International missions is an AWESOME way to grow in your relationship with God. Expect the unexpected for sure! My favorite passage to mediate over before I went on my trips was Psalm 67. Take a look if you get a chance! I look forward to hearing more about issue #2!!

PS-We will miss you greatly at Caswell this summer!

Only Servants Ministries said...

KARIBU KENYA!

(Welcome to Kenya)

You are always welcomed here... any time.

I'd love to take you up on our offer. I'll pay you $100 to clean my house. It's a big'en though... so I might double your $. :)
Love you ....

can't wait to hear about issue #2. :)))