Saturday, June 25, 2011

Reading by Candlelight

I really love my husband.  He does special things for me no matter how quirky they are or how old fashioned they seem.  Raising chickens is one example, which is going very well by the way but that's another post for another day.  Tending to my desire to read by candlelight is another.

I LOVE to read.  If I could have something radically different done to my home it would be to have my own library.  I mean a whole room, wall to wall, floor to ceiling, all books.  Oh my gosh, my heart skips a beat just imagining it.  I would want all things scripture from the beginnings of time (but no paraphrased Bibles please).  I would love some scrolls of sorts.  I would love all things C. S. Lewis, all missionary biographies, world History (from a biblical worldview), Ballantyne Novels, works of Francine Rivers, Francis Chan, KP Yohannan, Kay Arthur, David Platt, Jane Austen, John Piper, etc., etc., etc.

I really like to read in bed just before going to sleep.  It settles my soul.  But, it keeps my babe up at night because the lamp is just to bright.  So I thought about getting one of those lamps you can put on the wall like in old fashioned tv shows where each spouse would turn off their personal light when they were ready.  But what's cool about that?  Nothing.  So I thought, because I'm quirky, that it would be cool to have a candle to read by.

This might be a good place to inform those of you who don't already know this about me that I was really meant to live in a totally different era.  The era like the one in my favorite movie Pride and Prejudice where everything is done by candlelight and there are chickens running around the yard and everyone sits together around the table for a huge meal at breakfast.  Yeah, somehow I missed it by a few hundred years, durn it!

Anyway, back to my lighting dilemma.  So my incredible husband made me a candle shelf today.  And now I can read by candlelight!
Isn't it marvelous!!  I love him!

3 comments:

Bailey B. said...

Ok. I agree with your list except for one person. WHERE IS LOUISA MAY ALCOTT???? Hello, you can't leave Little Women out....haha! Just kidding, love you friend!
Bailey

The Beaver Bunch said...

What an awesome gift! Love the new posts!

gk said...

Aww puddin is SO TENDER!!

I'm excited you're blogging again.

But I would prefer it if you came to Kenya and sat on the balcony and talked with me.